Is water wet? Philosophical Indianans have asked that question regularly and with zeal. Is vinyl siding paintable? That question is not nearly as popular, perhaps because the answer is confoundedly complicated. (Water is wet once you touch it, btw; tell your kids.)
Can You Paint Vinyl Siding?
Taken literally (which is why the water-wet question lights up Google), you can paint anything. Whether such a task is worth your time and money for your vinyl siding is a different issue. Painting vinyl siding is possible, with these pros and cons:
- Less expensive than replacing vinyl siding
- Ability to customize the color
- Potentially faster to move from inspiration to end result
- Painting (by you or contractors) would likely void the siding’s warranty
- Painting involves extremely time-consuming steps — cleaning, scraping, removing old paint, preparing vinyl, priming, painting two coats
- A darker coat painted on a lighter color could damage the vinyl siding due to heat absorption
- You are committing to repeat all the steps every five years or so
- Fresh paint does not mask flaws or vinyl failure
Can You Replace Vinyl Siding?
You can replace vinyl siding very easily — or rather, you can hire expert, factory-trained installers to replace it. Suppose you have read through the reasons for and against painting and are leaning toward painting.
Consider these additional factors suggesting vinyl siding replacement is a better choice:
- Permanently fix flaws or vinyl failure
- New vinyl siding lasts far longer than painting
- No need to repeat the process in five years
- Factoring in costs of repainting twice a decade, a replacement can cost less than painting
- Newer vinyl siding locks in energy efficiency that old siding lacks
- You benefit from scheduling replacement with a local, established installer because doing it yourself will likely void the warranty and could cause you harm
- Replacement costs more out-of-pocket upfront than painting
While water-is-wet queries are whimsical, painting-versus-replacement questions have actual costs. Your best ally is your local siding professional. Invite a representative from a trustworthy, nearby siding installer to examine your home’s siding. You could come away with great ideas for vinyl siding replacement, or you could get a tip on a local painting service. Moss Roofing is your local, reliable roofer and siding specialist. Contact us today to find out how we can transform your Indianapolis home with beautiful vinyl or fiber cement siding.