Does honey go bad? (Nope.) Does stainless steel rust? (Nope.) Does siding require any maintenance? Yes! Three simple to-do items will help the siding on your Indianapolis-area home last longer and look great.
We are all guilty of not noticing something the longer we “see” it. Every day, you come home to your house and never realize the siding has slowly become dingy. But siding, like everything else subjected to Mother Nature, gets a weathered, worn look.
You can revive your home’s siding and boost its curb appeal by properly maintaining it. Not only will your house look brighter and better, but your siding will also last longer.
Let it Go?
What could possibly happen if you ignore your home’s siding, and neither clean nor maintain it? Several things, starting with the appearance and getting much worse:
- The surface will collect dust and grime, with lighter colors showing dirt and darker siding colors showing dust.
- Algae, mold, and mildew can grow and spread across the siding, leaving nasty discoloration and reaching into siding seams, invading your home’s sheathing.
- Damage to siding can go undetected, leading to water infiltration, broken siding sections, insect invasion, and rot.
Three Easy Steps
Keeping your Indianapolis-area home’s siding looking good and performing well involves three easy steps which remind you that your home is an integrated system of parts. Only one of the three steps directly involves your siding!
- Keep gutters clean and properly functioning — Overflowing gutters caused by clogs, dented guttering, or loose brackets will spill dirty water over their sides and onto your siding, leaving nasty green, brown, and gray stains. The remedy is to keep your gutters clean and clear, whether doing it yourself safely or by hiring gutter contractors.
- Trim landscaping back — All bushes, flowering plants, trees, and other plants should be at least six inches away from your home’s siding. This prevents scrapes from ruining the clear-coat finish and paint and helps prevent plants from staining the siding.
- Clean siding once or twice a year — Hire a service or do it yourself with great care, using only a garden hose, cleaning products, and a soft brush.
If you own a house in the greater Indianapolis metropolitan area, Moss Roofing is your home’s best ally. We provide a full range of exterior services, including gutters, insulation, roofing, and, of course, siding. Contact us at Moss Roofing today!