Okay, Magic 8 Ball, when should I reroof my house? “Better not tell you now.” Humph. A combination billiard ball and fortune teller never made much sense to us anyway. Just how can you know when the time is right for residential roof replacement?
Reroof Versus Replacement
You might think “reroof” and “roof replacement” are the same thing. They are not:
- Reroof means to slap a new roof over an old one, which in some cases is legal by building code but not always a wise move aesthetically
- Roof replacement means a tear-off of the old roof, taking off rotten sheathing, rolling out new underlayment, sticking down fresh water and ice shield, and putting down a fresh, new shingle roof
Reroofing is almost never the right move. New shingles over old shingles? That is a bad look. The added weight stresses your rafters. Full roof replacement is what most Indianapolis homeowners mean when they ask for a “reroof” job.
Here to Help
Knowing when to replace a roof gives you power. You decide your new roof’s:
You take your time determining the cut, color, and style of the shingles, work out a comfortable installation appointment, and arrange financing. No rush, no emergency.
So, how do you land in the sweet spot? Look at what your roof is telling you:
- Crazed, cracked, buckled, keystoned or missing shingles suggests replacement
- A history of extensive repairs suggests more repairs will not be cost effective
- Granules in your gutters tell you the roof is losing its ability to shed water
- Roof leaks are a sure sign your roof’s days are limited
Questions to ask yourself:
- Can I afford a new roof?
- Can I afford to ignore the roof’s increasing problems?
Never let financing stop you from preserving your home — financing is always available.
Your roof protects everything else you own; can you risk losing it all from a catastrophic leak or roof failure?
Talk to your local residential roofer for a full inspection and qualified opinion. The professional advice you receive will be far better than anything you get from a Magic 8 Ball. To quote the ball, “It is certain.”When you know the time to replace your Indianapolis-area home’s roof, contact us at Moss Roofing right away. We are your local, reliable roofers for all aspects of residential roofing, insulation, siding, and more.